Friday, October 14, 2011

How would I use blogs, wikis and delicious with my EFL students?


Technology becomes an important thing in our daily life especially in teaching and learning. There are many websites such as blogs, wikis, delicious and yahoo group which can help the students to improve their knowledge and their English language skills ( reading, writing, speaking and listening). I would likely to use blogs, wikis and delicious with my EFL students through the lesson. The using of these websites in teaching can be a powerful and effective technology tool for students and teachers.


Using blog:

Blog is an excellent website for self expression if you want your students to convey their feeling and opinions use a blog. It's allows people to write their ideas, thoughts, reflections and they can write whatever they want then share it with each others. Blog is a great way to improve a student's writing skills. For example, if I were a teacher I will ask my EFL students to write a paragraph about introducing themselves to let me and others friends to know more about them or maybe they can describe their experiences in their life on a pargraph to measure their ability in writing and other students can comment on others friends' post. Also, I ask them to put a photo in their blogs and asks them to describe it. I would require students to read an artical and I ask them to give their opinion or they would summarize it and put it on their private or personal blogs. So, they have an opporrtunity to discuss and comment in defferent topics with defferent blogger or maybe I will set a competition between the students and choose the best posts. It helps students to improve their skills in writing, reading and increase their vocabulary. 



Using Wikis:


Wikis are excellent website for collaboration. It's help the students to communicate and collborate with each others. Students use a wiki to collaborate on a group, collect data or share the results of their research. I can use wiki, for example, in teaching grammar and vocabulary. Also I put the assignments and the handouts on wiki. Also I put the assignments and the handouts on wiki. If I use wiki with my students, I would divide the class into groups; each group will have their wiki. I’ll post some topics related to our course, each group will select a topic and collect and search information about it then post it in their group wiki and discus it with their classmates. Also, I help them if they have any problems. They can ask me questions that related to the course, exams, assignments or even general questions. Also, I post different questions or thoughts which I want them to respond to or maybe I post lesson or activities and I ask them to respond.


Using Delicious:

Delicious is a social bookmarking site where we can save links to all of our favorite websites. In delicious the students can store and share with others by put the links that they need it in their courses. It is important for both teachers and students to communication.
Delicious is great for keeping lists of websites that you wanted to explore or enjoy. By using delicious, maybe I give the students some links to visit and also add these links to their accounts if they find it important to develop their language and also to share with other some links that useful for the class work. For example, I give the students a website that offers activities that help them in learning vocabulary such as giving them multiple choices with sentences to choose the correct word. Also, I would ask my students to make their own Delicious and for each lesson they have to bookmark an article or a website that they find it useful and beneficial to our lesson, and share it with their classmates. It's a useful and enjoyable way to share links and URLs that will help them in developing their English language.

These websites can improve the teaching quality and the students' achievement. Technology really help developing and enhancing the learning process.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you that technology is important in teaching and learning. It can improve the teaching quality and the students' achievement. Thank you for a great post you did.

Bashayer said...

Hi Doa'a
Good post
I agree with you
and I hope all these idea come true one day